Date : 21 May 2019
May 21, 2019: After 1974, Fencing has featured in every Asian Games excluding the 1982 edition. While China and South Korea are the superpowers of the region, there are other nations who are taking the right steps. One such country is Kazakhstan and Alexanin Dmitriy is their torchbearer. After winning the team bronze medal at the 2014 Asian Games, Alexanin won individual Gold at the 2018 Asian Games. We recently met the épée Fencer and here are some excerpts from the interview.
1. What got you into the sport of fencing?
My parents introduced me to the sport of fencing. I loved the competitiveness of the sport and I have not stopped playing it till now.
2. Who were your inspirations in the young days?
My inspiration was the football player from Brazil, Ronaldo. I just loved his trickery and the way in which he scored those many goals.
3. How was the feeling of winning Bronze and Gold medal at the 2014 and 2018 Asian Games respectively?
Bronze medal at the 2014 Asian Games for the whole Kazakhstan team was my first individual medal of a big magnitude. But personally, the Gold at 2018 Asian Games was a dream come true. I had become the pride of my country.
4. One piece of advice for all budding fencers out there.
Do not be lazy to train, keep it simple and always listen to your coach.
5. What would you be if you weren’t a fencer?
Did not think about it.
6. Personally, what has been your favourite memory?
As said earlier, the Gold medal at the 2018 Asian Games was the favourite memory of my career.
7. What is your ultimate dream in life?
Winning Gold at the Olympics is any athlete’s ultimate dream, and mine is nothing different. So yes, Gold medal at the 2020 Olympics.
8. How do you think the OCA contributes to an athlete's development?
The Olympic Council of Asia gives a huge push to every athlete of every game which is involved. The regulatory board has done a fantastic job so far and I wish them best for the future as well.
We wish the best for him and hope he wins more medals and makes a name for himself and makes Kazakhstan and Asia proud.
Any personal data submitted will not be used for any direct marketing or unsolicited follow-up.